Paper, Plastic or... Reusable?

April 16, 2010

“Paper or plastic?” asked the grocery clerk.

Remember when that used to be the question? The simple choice of paper or plastic would be made at the checkout counter of grocery stores. The answer would be a statement of whether you were interested in greenifying. Or so we thought. It turned out that using plastic meant we were saving trees, but it also meant littering our planet with bags that never seemed to really break down and clogged everything from sewers to tree branches and more. They were ugly, hanging from underneath passing cars and strangling fish in our waterways.

I reflected on that this weekend when someone commented on my reusable fabric bag that I used to take a small appliance somewhere. It's a rich sapphire color with strong handles and a firm plastic bottom. I got it at a food industry convention and filled it on the convention floor with samples and information that it took me days to sort through and enjoy. But the bag keeps on giving.

I have other bags. Some are from particular grocery stores and advertise those businesses that I frequent. Some are padded with insulation to keep perishable items from, well, perishing. Some are made of low-carbon burlap and sorta “chic” in a granny-from-a-farm way. Others are very durable and I expect they can carry my purchases for years to come. But here's the thing: I like them all.

I like the endless variety and colors that I'm carrying my things around in. I like the bright colors, as well as the brown burlap. I like the durability and the semi-fragility of the bags. I like that I know exactly what to expect of each. They stack better than paper or plastic, soI like seeing a small stack of them in the back of my car.

The locality where I live started adding a charge for “paper or plastic” a few months back, and since then, I've seen bags like mine on the street. I'm so much happier to see bright colors and store names being carted around than plastic bags blowing in the wind. I'm sure you feel the same way.

So far, we've only cut usage of those bags by a fraction. Some people are willing to pay the surcharge for using plastic bags or they forgot their reusables or they somehow were unable to get a reusable bag for that trip to the store. But we'll forgive and look the other way, “just this once.”

It's nice to Greenify. Maybe give a reusable bag to a neighbor in observance of Earth Day? The planet you save may be your own.

Comments

October 15. 2018 10:46

由全球生長因子與胜肽韓國廠商CAREGEN研發,利用美國專利「KP7-4胜肽技術」,獨特滲透配方提供高穩定、高滲透、高效能的胜髮環境,模擬人體生髮機制,目的使頭皮、毛囊恢復健康及作用活性,重啟生髮系統。DR CYJ髮胜肽療程的治療原理為 利用複合活性成分配方恢復毛髮平衡, 根據生態生物工程原理研發, 關鍵胜肽名為KP7-4,結合了七種專利胜肽, 實驗證明能有效模擬「人體胜髮因子」,掌握育髮四關鍵:毛囊強健、減緩異常落髮、強化髮根、供給毛囊血管營養,模擬毛髮循環機制,同時減緩異常落髮及強化髮根。DR.CYJ髮胜肽不含藥性且無副作用,能有效促進增髮

醫學美容 HPV9合1子宮頸癌疫苗 Gardasil cosmedicbook

October 16. 2018 22:06

少女心爆發!Air Jordan I 推出10款粉嫩馬卡龍色絨面球鞋 Marie Claire (HK) Edition 還有三個星期就到農曆新年,眾所周知,新春正月是買鞋大忌(因為「鞋」音跟歎息聲相近),所以想在新年前去舊迎新、買對新鞋過年的,現在就是時候了!今個春季 Jordan Brand 再次以Michael J

醫學美容 狐臭成因治療 cosmetic.wiki

October 18. 2018 16:26

【保健】自燃曲線 促進新陳代謝的藤黃果 保健食品 - 牛奶之牛言牛語 in FG - FashionGuide 華人時尚專業評鑑 隨著年紀的增長,身體的新陳代謝也變得比較慢了,明明食量也沒特別大,吃的也沒特別多,但是卻悄悄的變胖了,尤其坐辦公室的小姐們,更有深深的體會吧!!!!!!,

醫學美容 甩脂 cosmetic.wiki

October 19. 2018 01:43

鮮豔色彩可堆疊出理想效果且妝感明亮。

乾洗

October 19. 2018 12:29

推薦好用的「肥皂」網友評鑑排行榜一覽 網友評鑑排行榜 網友用過推薦最好用的肥皂網友評鑑排行榜,這裡有網友們,最近六個月的美妝品排行榜,No.1~No.10名

醫學美容 草說 cosmetic.wiki

October 20. 2018 02:07

La CASTA 蕾珂詩 【美髮保養系列】蕾珂詩沙龍級柔順護髮膜#35(柔亮潤澤系列)的商品介紹 La CASTA 蕾珂詩,美髮保養系列,蕾珂詩沙龍級柔順護髮膜#35(柔亮潤澤系列)

醫學美容 筋膜拉皮 cosmetic.wiki

October 21. 2018 17:08

通過水光療程抑制黑色素細胞生長的成分注射到真皮層,減少黑色素形成,淡化黑斑色素沉澱,從而達到美白祛斑的效果 療程特色 :可配搭多元化產品來量身訂做不同療​​程計算機化規格,操作方便,容易控制可調節進針深度,精準注射於目標的肌膚層 每針的注射劑量相等,達到均勻注射 一次平均5點注射,可縮短療程時間 採用31號細針頭,幾乎看不到入針點 降低疼痛、瘀血、腫脹及不適感 使用靈活度高,可複合式搭配針劑,量身訂製療程

CLEVIEL 高濃度透明質酸

November 5. 2018 06:00

Boro believe Karanka is likely to depart at the end of the season regardless of the club are promoted to the Premier League. He has had a fractious relationship with some of his senior players. Middlesbrough ask Nigel Pearson to hold off on taking his next job with Aitor Karanka expected to depart at the end of the season

Football Solutions UEFA Women's Champions League - Fortuna - Tamires

November 6. 2018 00:31

The Nigerians have made a name for themselves as a team to watch at this summer's tournament in Russia, not just for their exciting, fast-paced style of football but for their dress sense too. Nigeria steal the show... again! After taking World Cup win for fashion, now Super Eagles reveal their stunning travel outfits for trip to Russia

Football Solutions Michele Šego

November 24. 2018 17:20

Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic has added to the excitement surrounding his return to the Premier League with the Swede announcing, 'when I come back, the world will know.'  Manchester United striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic gives injury update as he visits Volvo headquarters: 'When I come back, the world will know'

futbol.run Mikel San José