Recycling the Good(will) Old-Fashioned Way!

March 11, 2010

We don't often endorse green businesses here at the Green Business Alliance Blog. But I have to say, that there is one recycling operation that I have been in love with since I was very small: Goodwill.

I grew up with a mother that loved garage sales. She loved to hop in the car with a friend and drive around on a Saturday morning, looking at other people's stuff for sale. Garage sales, rummage sales, flea markets; she loved them all. But her favorite was Goodwill.

The reason? Because Goodwill is not only recycling other people's used but still serviceable items. Goodwill also recycles people. Read their mission statement:

“Goodwill Industries International enhances the dignity and quality of life of individuals, families and communities by eliminating barriers to opportunity and helping people in need reach their fullest potential through the power of work.”

The business itself provides jobs for the people taking the goods in, cleaning and organizing them and then reselling them in retail outlet stores. They are sustainably recycling people, too.

I can't tell you how many times as a child, my mother would finish with the garage sales and drag us off to Goodwill for another hour. Or two. (There was more than one Goodwill location in our area.) I recall her buying everything from old trunks (great for storing toys in!) to sheets and towels (which she tore up to use for household cleaning) and the occasional clothing item. She never bought used shoes; she felt that shoes sometimes molded to feet and othertimes, well, they might actually contain mold.

When I graduated from college, I made a beeline to Goodwill Stores for household goods. They were all I could afford. I bought a couple of small tables, four or five chairs, some flatware and dishes, and even a broken Moped there once. I thought I could get it running, but I never did. I recycled that one myself, taking it right back to Goodwill and redonating it back to them. II wonder how many times it cycled through the system before it found a home with someone who knew how to get it running again?)

I like recycling more things these days. I'm always excited to see how little actual “refuse” I can put out on the curb, compared to the larger amounts of recyclables. But I'm pretty sure I got my good start at liking recycling, sustainability, renewable resources and making the most of things from shopping at Goodwill.

Goodwill Industries is a plan to Greenify unto itself.

Comments

January 12. 2018 04:14

Great Article, I will continue to look at your information as a valuable source!

ConcettaD@peakperformancesalestraining.us

October 14. 2018 23:40

由全球生長因子與胜肽韓國廠商CAREGEN研發,利用美國專利「KP7-4胜肽技術」,獨特滲透配方提供高穩定、高滲透、高效能的胜髮環境,模擬人體生髮機制,目的使頭皮、毛囊恢復健康及作用活性,重啟生髮系統。DR CYJ髮胜肽療程的治療原理為 利用複合活性成分配方恢復毛髮平衡, 根據生態生物工程原理研發, 關鍵胜肽名為KP7-4,結合了七種專利胜肽, 實驗證明能有效模擬「人體胜髮因子」,掌握育髮四關鍵:毛囊強健、減緩異常落髮、強化髮根、供給毛囊血管營養,模擬毛髮循環機制,同時減緩異常落髮及強化髮根。DR.CYJ髮胜肽不含藥性且無副作用,能有效促進增髮

醫學美容 CLEVIEL 高濃度透明質酸

魔幻緊顏電波拉皮: 玻尿酸微整 修修臉五官更立體 魔幻緊顏電波拉皮: 玻尿酸微整 修修臉五官更立體

醫學美容 凍膜 cosmetic.wiki

October 21. 2018 15:17

Soften 紓恬 【肌底煥采系列】凝時潤膚乳的商品介紹 Soften 紓恬,肌底煥采系列,凝時潤膚乳

醫學美容 大眼妝 cosmetic.wiki

October 21. 2018 23:34

「 生蛇 」( 醫學名稱是 『帶狀疱疹』Shingles ) 是由水痘病毒引起的疾病。水痘癒合後,病毒在神經細胞潛伏多年,日後隨時重新激活後導致的帶狀皮疹,就是「 生蛇 」。因此,凡感染過水痘的人,都有機會「 生蛇 」。病發時,身體某一部位會感到內疼或劇痛,通常是臉或背部及腰部的一側;這時由於病毒從脊髓處沿其中華一條神經擴散到身體以及去到連接的皮膚表面,形成紅疹及小水疱。帶狀疱疹疫苗Zostavax康栢苗 (蛇針)能助減低「 生蛇 」的機會,有效預防: 「 生蛇 」( 帶狀疱疹 ) 成效高達 70% 「 生蛇 」的後遺神經痛:即使紅疹痊癒,神經痛還可以持續數月或數年。年紀越大,持續有後遺 神經痛風險越高 「 生蛇 」引起的急性及長期痛症 不適用人士: 曾對疫苗成分包括明膠( Gelatin ) 及紐奧黴 ( Neomycin ) 有過敏性休克反應的人士 有原發及繼發性免疫系統問題的病患者,或正服用抑鬱免疫系統藥物(如高劑量膽固醇)的病人 患有肺結核,正發病及未經治療人士 孕婦

醫學美容 NEAUVIA——新型第二代透明質酸 cosmedicbook

October 22. 2018 17:16

以低能量的1064-Q激光反覆掃於皮膚表面,逐步改善皮膚色素問題。 治療時產生的熱能能促進膠原蛋白的再生,回復肌膚彈性。 使用7mm平行光光頭,使輸出的激光更溫和及均勻。功效: 去除紋身 美白及去除面毛 令整體膚色更白更均勻 減淡及去除荷爾蒙斑或反黑 增加皮膚膠原蛋白,改善皮膚彈性 減淡深層色斑 : 黃褐斑,荷爾蒙斑,蝴蝶斑 以低能量的1064-QS激光反覆掃於皮膚表面,逐步改善皮膚色素問題 使用8-10mm平行光光頭,使輸出的激光 更溫和及均勻 1. 激光能透進皮膚深層 2. 激光被黑色素吸收 3. 產生熱能將黑色素體分解 4. 被呑噬細胞吸收及排出體外

醫學美容 Derma Veil 童顏針 cosmedicbook

October 27. 2018 18:39

【延禧攻略】演員爆紅 超有氣質絕美富察皇后真人秦嵐已經37歲 私底下還像少女一般 逆天美貌靠這招! Marie Claire (HK) Edition 追劇熱潮繼續不斷!《延禧攻略》的收視愈來愈高,當然當中的演員的人氣也同樣愈來愈高,愈受注目!除了女主角超搶鏡之外,也大概有不少人被飾演富察皇后的秦嵐所驚艷了!大家有沒有覺得她很熟面口呢?原來她也是演《

醫學美容-肌護-活性炭-cosmetic-wiki

November 4. 2018 21:47

Jose Mourinho has hit back at criticism over Manchester United's style, suggesting their are double standards at play when comparing the performances of his own side to that of their rivals. Jose Mourinho demands more credit for his Manchester United players for keeping clean sheet against Spurs

Football Solutions UEFA Youth League - Adrià Altimira Reynaldos

November 10. 2018 10:25

Clattenburg and Atkinson are two of the 18 referees who will preside this summer's European Championships in France. Six other English top-flight referees be also travel as assistants. Mark Clattenburg and Martin Atkinson earn right to succeed Howard Webb as English representatives after officials for European Championships are named by UEFA

Football Solutions Denizlispor reach last four