I thought to start this year off, we’d go with some Greenification ideas that are maybe off the beaten path. These are ideas for people who might be considering going into business or perhaps have a business that they might want to update in more environmentally sensitive fashion. For instance, what about…
1. Green Salons. These would be salons and spas that use organic hair products (coloring products and nail care in particular) and water and energy conservation efforts, plus green furniture (lots of bamboo!) and all natural tools such as wooden combs and bristle brushes. Going into the business? (Or making a few changes!) You can design your salon to be eco friendly and market it as a green Salon, which will greatly appeal to younger consumers.
2. Eco Gym. It’s time to get back to basics. Get rid of the electronics and design all exercise areas to optimize green heating and cooling, reduce air conditioning costs using green cooling (Ice Bear) and create a more healthful environment with all natural, sustainably produced flooring and eco-friendly decor. Incorporate natural health supplements in your shop and bamboo and organic cotton sportswear.
3. Green Lobbyist. If legislation and government peak your interest, then you should know the field of environmental lobbyist positions is growing with the potential to open your own green lobbyist firm. This is a high growth field.
4. Green Gardener. Help local homeowners reduce their water use (critical in California, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico) by becoming a specialist in drought tolerant greenery and replacing wasteful grass lawns with native plants, stone gardens or organic herb gardens.
5. Green Bed and Breakfast. If you’ve been one who has always dreamed of owning a bed and breakfast, then consider this: solar or wind powered, organic cotton or bamboo sheets, green meals (locally produced meats and fish and organic produce and fruits), and beautiful natural settings will attract eco-vacationers no matter where you are situated.
If you are opening a new business or considering making changes, we’ve all seen in that green marketing does provide motivation for new customers and clients. You’ve got more reasons now than ever before to Greenify. And we’ll have more ideas later this week.