A Quieter, Greener Christmas

December 17, 2009

I want to have a quieter, but still Greenified Christmas this year.  And I’m going to tell you what I’m going to do.  It’s economical, environmentally sound and perhaps one of the more thoughtful gifts I’ve given in years.

I’m going to go to a big warehouse store and buy a couple of packs of energy saving light bulbs.  And I’m going to take them to my parents’ house and replace every old-fashioned fluorescent light bulb in their house with an energy-saving, money-saving CFL bulb.

My parents are older, so they see better with a lot of lighting.  CFL are often brighter than the older bulbs they replace.  But my folks also don’t buy a lot of new things.  I’ve told them that the new energy-efficient bulbs are cost effective, but it’s hard to convince them that it’s actually less wasteful to throw away (or even recycle) a perfectly good light bulb and replace it with a new one.  Or to throw away a couple dozen perfectly good light bulbs.

Did you know that the average U.S. household has 45 light bulbs?   Since you save about $30 or more in electricity costs over each bulb's lifetime, that means replacing that number of 75-watt incandescent bulbs with CFLs would save $180 per year.

And if every American home replaced just one light bulb with an Energy Star qualified bulb, we would save enough energy to light more than 3 million homes for a year, more than $600 million in annual energy costs, and prevent greenhouse gases equivalent to the emissions of more than 800,000 cars.

My parents have about that many, so it won’t be a cost-effective gift for me.  But when I think about all the money they will save, I believe it’s gift that will keep giving throughout the entire year.  And I know it’s one I’ll feel great about giving, too.

It’s a great way to Greenify and give a truly thoughtful gift this season.  I invite you to share the simple gift of light, from an energy efficient bulb, with someone you care about this season.  Happy Holidays!

Comments

October 15. 2018 08:48

按揭服務助您實現置業夢想. ... 有固定收入及供款與入息比率不超過45的首次置業人士,仍可申請最高9成按揭貸款。 借定唔 ... 香港主要住宅樓宇價格走勢.

Wealth Link Credit 富通信貸 » 居屋/公屋 業主貸款

October 15. 2018 15:28

Venus Viva™對所有皮膚類型都是安全的,並使用革命性的Nano Fractional Radio Frequency™(納米點陣射頻™)和Smart Scan™(智能掃描™)技術,通過選擇性真皮加熱,從而提供優異的治療效果。使用Nano Fractional RF™將能量透過表皮傳遞至真皮,從而產生熱量,並啟動膚膚的生理機制,重建膠原蛋白及刺激纖維母細胞,最終刺激導致組織重塑。功效:✔改善膚質✔肌膚緊緻✔減淡妊娠紋✔痤瘡及暗瘡疤痕✔減淡細紋及皺紋✔面部肌膚賦活再生 適合面部及頸部

水光槍 美白祛斑 水潤亮肌

October 16. 2018 07:13

Loving&Herbs 愛草皂 【美妍護膚經典系列】經典馬賽皂(無精油.洗臉.身)的商品介紹 Loving&Herbs 愛草皂,美妍護膚經典系列,經典馬賽皂(無精油.洗臉.身)

醫學美容 香港整型 cosmetic.wiki

October 16. 2018 14:36

Deary 媞爾妮 【面眼膜系列】蠟菊Vit.B3眼頰修護膜的商品介紹 Deary 媞爾妮,面眼膜系列,蠟菊Vit.B3眼頰修護膜

醫學美容 碧柔 cosmetic.wiki

October 20. 2018 03:04

【。(頭髮) 秋冬IN風格! 我的頭髮換了時下最流行的「雙色染」!!*】 - 【。Nikkie•寧寧*】❤ 分享變美的秘密~您也可以72變 ❤ 一生就要瘦一次 - FashionGuide 華人時尚專業評鑑 話說大家有沒有發現最近Nikkie默默地換了新髮色~~,哈哈!!,(這是之前的舊髮色哦~~↓↓,

醫學美容 鼻型調塑 cosmetic.wiki

October 22. 2018 07:06

Ellanse洢蓮絲(依戀詩)是一款荷蘭與英國共同研發的的新型真皮填充劑,是由30的25-50微米(µm)的聚己內酯(polycaprolactone, PCL)完美微型正圓晶球,以及70的PBS-生物降解材料(carboxymethylcellulose, CMC)製成的凝膠體,這些成分都是通過FDA(美國食品藥品監督管理局)和歐洲CE認證的安全成分,在人體內水分和二氧化碳作用下可以完全被分解吸收和排出的安全物質,對人體不會產生過敏反應,因此治療前不需經過敏檢測,在使用上幾乎不產生副作用。

醫學美容 Dysport 小V臉 cosmedicbook

November 5. 2018 19:32

Celtic and the SFA will go head-to-head in a Hampden clash over Neil Lennon’s Old Firm red card — with the credibility of both the Hoops boss and the match officials at stake. Collision course! Celtic and SFA set to do battle again after Lennon is served notice

Football Solutions Ajaccio hit by Courbis ban

November 24. 2018 00:16

Chelsea will be swapping London for the warmer climates of Australia ahead of the 2018/19 season, after the Blues confirmed plans to return to down under. Chelsea to head down under for pre-season after the Blues confirm tour of Australia in 2018 including visit to brand new 65,000-seat Perth Stadium

futbol.run UEFA Women's Champions League - Pärnu-Ajax - Latest