Preparing for Winter: Go Green

October 15, 2009

Can I give you a little advice about greenifying, keeping heating costs low, staying warm and being fashionable this winter?   Put on a sweater.

The government has been advising us for more than 20 years to put our thermostats at 68 degrees daytime (and another 10 degrees cooler at night) in the winter to try to conserve energy while staving off winter chills.  If you can do that, you’ll realize a savings of as much as 10% annually on your electricity bills.

Sweaters can be an answer.  Along with socks, an occasional thermal shirt, pajamas and maybe even a bath robe.  Put some rugs on that tiled bathroom floor.  The tiles will benefit, too.

Sweaters are going to big fashion news this fall.  They are in all the best stores and available in all kinds of price ranges.  This isn’t our normal stuff here at Green Business Alliance, but in the interest of helping you greenify, let’s discuss sweater materials.

Cotton: the fabric of our lives.  It’s comfortable, soft, and so very washable.  Not the best choice for harsh winters, but definitely what you’d choose next to your skin.

Linen: prized for its lightness and beauty, but not for warmth.  Linen is favored in the summer.

Wool: the crimped hair of domesticated sheep.  Because of the crimp, wool fabrics have a greater bulk than other textiles, and retain air, which causes the product to retain heat. Wool makes some people itch, yet makes others comfortable because of its elastic and water absorbent properties. Because some wool must be dry cleaned, it can be less environmentally friendly.   But carefully maintained, it wears for years.  And many wool sweaters don’t require dry cleaning, if you check the label.  Wool, like all animal hairs, is naturally flame-retardant.

Mohair: fabric made from the hairs of angora goats.  The younger the goat, the softer and finer the hair, which means that clothing is usually made from the younger goats’ coats.  Mohair is warm and has great insulating properties. It is durable, moisture-wicking, stretch and flame resistant, and crease resistant.  It doesn’t “itch” as much as regular wool because the scales on the hairs are not fully developed.  Also needs dry cleaning.
Cashmere: considered the King of Natural Fibers, it is a fiber obtained from the cashmere goat.  Cashmere wool is fine in texture, and it is also strong, light, and soft; when it is made into garments, they are extremely warm to wear.  Also needs dry cleaning.

Other choices for sweater materials including polyester, spandex, viscose and nylon are man-made materials.  While a little nylon may give your sweater some durability, and some spandex improves the fit and styling, adding man-made fibers can make a sweater less breathable and therefore less comfortable. Also, a polyester sweater will “pill” underneath your arms faster than Mom saying “school’s closed for a snow day” makes a sick kid feel better.

So do yourself a favor and pick up a few sweaters. Better yet: GET OUT YOUR OLD ONES.   Your wardrobe will thank you and so will your electric company.   Green is definitely the style for this season!

Comments

October 31. 2018 20:18

JASON 【專業沙龍美髮系列】生物素薄荷強韌洗髮精 Biotin & Peppermint Strengthening Shampoo的商品介紹 JASON,專業沙龍美髮系列,生物素薄荷強韌洗髮精 Biotin & Peppermint Strengthening Shampoo

醫學美容 姊姊 cosmetic.wiki

November 1. 2018 14:06

YouTube - ALBION護膚4步曲

肌元

November 4. 2018 17:37

滋滋<活動>奇摩風格部落客初春時尚潮流聚 @ 潮流、美妝、消費 創造個人化風格的女性社群 PIXstyleMe 滋滋<活動>奇摩風格部落客初春時尚潮流聚

醫學美容 長腿 cosmetic.wiki

July 26. 2020 01:33

I like it when folks get together and share views. Great site, keep it up!|

SF Weekly

July 26. 2020 05:11

I love what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage! Keep up the wonderful works guys I've added you guys to my personal blogroll.|

SF Weekly

July 26. 2020 08:51

I've been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.|

cbd for dogs

July 26. 2020 10:11

There may be nothing more pleasurable than visiting new spots and having new activities. There are some points you need to understand before you jump on the airplane to the following spot. If you intend on touring soon, then this journey tips in this article ought to be extremely helpful for you. Load up softly when you are traveling. People always often package far more than is needed, and turn out only using about half of the items they consider. Choose a number of goods that one could wear many times, and then try to organize every little thing. In the event you neglect to pack a certain object, you will likely locate some thing correct in your location. Don't utilize the general public personal computers in your resort or anywhere else they have free of charge web when you are on vacation. Unscrupulous individuals might have put in keyloggers or any other malware on these general public computer systems to steal your information. When you are traveling by atmosphere inside the U.S. you can get by means of stability speedier in the event you put on fall-on shoes. Given that you have to get rid of your shoes or boots when going through protection it is far better to get footwear that can come away from and go on rapidly so you can access your other items swiftly. Before you take an abroad vacation, travellers need to remember to check out their immunizations. Planing a trip to a destination with a different country will reveal the tourist to bacterias and potential infections that his / her body is just not used to. The wise visitor will check with a health care professional to determine which new immunizations and boosters she or he requires. Given that you're more intelligent regarding the techniques on the planet, you may package your hand bags and stay on the way. Recall the tips you've study on this page, then relax and go with the stream. The entire world is definitely an open up guide and it's time to put in a couple of web pages of your own. Just what are you waiting around for?

Travel for holidays

July 26. 2020 13:45

I have been surfing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is beautiful value sufficient for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you probably did, the internet shall be much more helpful than ever before.|

CBD oil

July 26. 2020 15:19

My spouse and i have been very happy that Peter could complete his investigations through the precious recommendations he acquired from your own web pages. It is now and again perplexing to just find yourself making a gift of secrets which some others might have been selling. So we recognize we’ve got you to be grateful to for that. All the explanations you have made, the simple blog navigation, the relationships you assist to foster – it’s got most great, and it’s really facilitating our son and our family consider that this theme is brilliant, which is rather indispensable. Thanks for the whole thing!

goods appliance repair las vegas

July 27. 2020 13:25

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the page layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two images. Maybe you could space it out better?|

tgl hk

July 27. 2020 14:24

Thank you for any other great post. Where else may anybody get that type of information in such a perfect method of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I’m on the look for such info.

samsung appliance repair Las Vegas, NV

July 27. 2020 15:14

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog. Is it difficult to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Many thanks|

Eetu

July 28. 2020 18:05

It's amazing designed for me to have a web site, which is valuable for my know-how. thanks admin|

Youlanda Kahan

July 30. 2020 01:28

What's up, the whole thing is going perfectly here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that's genuinely excellent, keep up writing.|

krijo website

July 31. 2020 08:57

Someone essentially help to make severely posts I'd state. That is the first time I frequented your web page and up to now? I surprised with the research you made to make this actual publish extraordinary. Magnificent task!|

August 1. 2020 01:46

Hey there! This is kind of off topic but I need some help from an established blog. Is it tough to set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about creating my own but I'm not sure where to start. Do you have any tips or suggestions? Appreciate it|

August 1. 2020 14:56

Hi there, after reading this awesome article i am as well happy to share my familiarity here with colleagues.|

Julian Di Benedetto

August 3. 2020 02:39

Louis Bottorf

August 3. 2020 14:23

Its such as you learn my thoughts! You seem to grasp a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the guide in it or something. I think that you can do with a few to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, that is great blog. A fantastic read. I'll definitely be back.|

affiliate marketing system

August 3. 2020 18:38

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I'm looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!|

click to visit

August 5. 2020 17:36

If you desire to take a good deal from this article then you have to apply such techniques to your won blog.|

נערות ליווי