How Much for That Grocery Sack?

September 15, 2009

How much is that plastic grocery sack worth to you?  How much is the convenience of an always available plastic grocery sack worth in your life?

A few years back, I discovered that one particular grocery store in the area where I live charged for the plastic grocery sacks that have become de rigeur in the last 20 years.  I was a little shocked that they wanted three cents bag.  These days, I think they should charge closer to three dollars.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in 2001, somewhere between 500 billion and a trillion plastic bags are consumed worldwide every year.  A tiny fraction of the number of plastic bags produced will be recycled.  Even more are packing our landfills.   But worst of all, somewhere between one to three percent of the bags aren’t recycled or in landfills, but instead are littering our world.

You know what litter is, right?  A few years ago, living in California, I took notice of the state’s anti-litter advertising campaign which says “whatever you drop ends up in the ocean.”  It only takes one visit to the beach to make clear the truth of that statement.

These days, while no longer living in California, I still feeling a growing longing to protect the environment, I have become a collector of reusable shopping bags.  I have two bright green ones, a white one, a black one, and a gorgeous red and natural burlap sack with a charming picture on the side.  I’m not actually going for a rainbow (although I certainly don’t mind!) or any specific designer look, so I usually just accept what I’m offered.

Your customers are probably doing the same: just accepting what they are given.  It’s still such a new concept we’re living with that an offer of a new grocery sack is likely to be greeted with appreciation.  If you’re about to order more disposable plastic sacks for your business, let me encourage you to put in an order for reusable carriers as well.  Offer them to your customers at as low a price as possible.

At some point soon, that recyclable bag will be worth far more than its weight in so-called “disposable” (plastic) grocery sacks in your world and theirs.

Comments

October 16. 2018 15:48

高能聚焦量超聲波( HIFU )以物理性聚焦集中成一點, 快速穿透皮膚真皮及脂肪層面直達面部表淺肌肉腱膜系統( SMAS )層令其組織細胞分子高速磨擦 , 瞬間升溫至60 -70 度,令整個表淺肌肉腱膜系統( SMAS )受熱收縮,形成熱固化區域, 令結綈組織同時拉緊,達到拉皮防皺及美容效果。SMAZ聚焦超聲波提供了最有效的HIFU能量收緊皮膚及刺激胶原蛋白新生,提升彈性,恢復更緊緻的皮膚和更年輕的美貌。

醫學美容 ION MAGNUM

October 17. 2018 14:34

從根本徹底強健肌底、煥新肌膚,傾注柔軟彈力、綻放透亮光采,濃萃質地、再現青春肌膚。

假鼻

October 18. 2018 06:50

L'OCCITANE 歐舒丹 【草本修護系列】草本修護潤髮乳(升級版)的商品介紹 L'OCCITANE 歐舒丹,草本修護系列,草本修護潤髮乳(升級版)

醫學美容 隆乳常見問題 cosmetic.wiki

October 20. 2018 11:39

Fresh 【身體保養系列】滋養護髮膜 Hair Cream的商品介紹 Fresh,身體保養系列,滋養護髮膜 Hair Cream

醫學美容 抗污染 cosmetic.wiki

October 21. 2018 18:22

提供您的肌膚植物中最珍貴的精華 提供您的肌膚植物中最珍貴的精華

醫學美容 美甲師 cosmetic.wiki

October 23. 2018 03:32

Restylane乃一系列用於美顏的長效透明質酸產品。 Restylane療程能有效撫平皺紋、美化臉型輪廓及唇部,並可改善膚質及肌膚的彈性。Restylane透明質酸作用原理 Restylane透明質酸均以非動物來源的透明質酸作為原料,獨有的NASHA™專利技術研製而成。微量Restylane透明質酸凝膠到皮膚中,可以讓您的面部肌膚恢復豐盈飽滿。 Restylane透明質酸中的透明質酸與人體內的天然透明質酸十分相似,使用前無需進行皮膚測試,引起過敏反應的機率亦極低。

醫學美容 Restylane 透明質酸

October 26. 2018 10:18

OneCaratBeauty【香港美容KOL】: Sense of Touch 【醫學美容】醫美級「誘光肌因密集水透白」面膜?台灣Dr Cink自費面膜評價及香港哪裏買教學 OneCaratBeauty【香港美容KOL】: 【醫學美容】醫美級「誘光肌因密集水透白」面膜?台灣Dr Cink自費面膜評價及香港哪裏買教學 OneCaratBeauty【香港美容KOL】

醫學美容-泰國-專屬-cosmetic-wiki

October 28. 2018 07:58

水光精華面膜粉 - 美姿采國際有限公司May Gi Joy International Co., Ltd. 水光精華面膜粉 - 美姿采國際有限公司May Gi Joy International Co., Ltd.

醫學美容-升cup-宿便-cosmetic-wiki

October 28. 2018 22:16

化身成戀愛導師的劉寅娜經驗之談 教你「三秒」看懂男人對你好感度Relationship 戀愛SundayMore 劉寅娜在早前一檔大受好評的韓國綜藝節目《善茶坊》化身成戀愛導師,根據自己的經驗,教你三秒看穿男人對你有沒有好感,想知道的大家快來看看怎麼判別吧!

醫學美容-活泉-紅妍-cosmetic-wiki

November 4. 2018 17:00

Chelsea's next opponents CF Monterrey have been in Japan for little more than a week, during which time they have survived an earthquake, lost their best player to injury and been rocked by news from home of a plane crash which has killed one of Mexico’s most popular singers. And you thought Chelsea had problems... Club World Cup opponents Monterrey face up to injuries, earthquakes and the death of nation's sweetheart

Football Solutions UEFA EURO 2016 - History - Armenia-Portugal

November 7. 2018 05:01

David Beckham was spotted in London this morning just hours after his sending off in a league match for Paris Saint-Germain. The morning after the night before: Becks back in London after sending off for PSG (will we ever see Golden Balls play again?)

Football Solutions Under-19 - Denys Popov

November 21. 2018 07:15

West Ham United striker Carlton Cole was all smiles as he partied with stars of the NBA and music world on Thursday night. Carlton Cole parties with NBA stars following Milwaukee Bucks' thumping win over the New York Knicks

futbol.run UEFA Europa League - History - Hall of fame: Athletic

November 27. 2018 18:17

<p>Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!</p>

Tiara Hores

November 30. 2018 20:34

<p>Wow, marvelous blog structure! How long have you ever been blogging for? you make running a blog look easy. The entire look of your website is excellent, let alone the content!</p>

Otis Duropan