Greenifying as Basic as an Acorn

December 1, 2008

There is growing interest in an unusual story reported out of Washington, DC, this week.  It’s not about the President-elect’s latest appointment or what members of Congress are packing up to leave office permanently as new members move in.  It’s about what’s missing from the nation’s Capitol and from several surrounding states.  What is missing is acorns.

"I'm used to seeing so many acorns around and out in the field, it's something I just didn't believe," botanist Rod Simmons said. "But this is not just not a good year for oaks. It's a zero year. There's zero production. I've never seen anything like this before."

The absence of acorns could have something to do with the weather, Simmons says in this weekend’s Washington post.  Hickory nuts aren’t around either.  And Simmons is not the only one who noticed.

"I couldn't find any acorns anywhere," said Greg Zell, a naturalist at Long Branch Nature Center in Arlington, VA. "Not a single acorn. It's really bizarre."

Zell researched and found Internet discussion groups, including one on Topix called "No acorns this year," reporting the same thing from as far away as the Midwest up through New England and Nova Scotia. "None in Kansas either! Curiouser and curiouser," posted another.

Some have theories about rain cycles. But many skeptics say oaks in other regions are producing plenty of acorns, and the acorn bust in these areas is nothing more than the extreme of a natural boom-and-bust cycle.

And others say they’re not worried yet. "What's there to worry about?" said Alan Whittemire, a botanist at the U.S. Arboretum. "If you're a squirrel, it's a big worry. But it's no problem for the oak tree. They'll produce acorns again when they're ready to."  Of course the squirrels could starve in the meantime.

Naturalists expect this is an isolated biological event.  But it’s one that bears noting by those of us who like our world as green and beautiful as it is.

And I point it out as an interesting article you can read and also because if we let parts of our living world and food chain slip away, we are all the poorer for it. But we are in danger ourselves.  When greenifying is within reach, we have to do it to protect ourselves and out world.

Link to story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/29/AR2008112902045.html?hpid=topnews

Comments

October 15. 2018 01:02

來自瑞士的Teosyal®透明質酸,是由世界第三大以透明質酸為基礎的TEOXANE藥廠研發。Teosyal ®Redensity II® 是專門為眼部肌膚而設計的透明質酸。屬於半鏈結透明質酸的Redensity II® ,輕微吸濕力可減少水腫。 半鏈結透明質酸的柔軟度較高,於注射之後不會產主粒狀問題。可撫平中度皺紋,主要用於淚溝、額紋、手部填充、木偶紋、豐唇、耳珠、太陽穴、人中、面頰填充、虎紋

醫學美容 HPV9合1子宮頸癌疫苗 Gardasil

October 21. 2018 13:20

VIVIENE 【滋潤保養系列】臘菊潤澤身體乳的商品介紹 UrCosme (@cosme TAIWAN) 商品資訊 VIVIENE,滋潤保養系列,臘菊潤澤身體乳

醫學美容 夏天 cosmetic.wiki

October 28. 2018 18:57

Patchology PowerPatch Dark Spot Corrector Patchology PowerPatch Dark Spot CorrectorThe Spot-On FixDark spots, sun damage, acne scars—it's time to look on the bright side. This first-of-its-kind dark spot corrector lightens them up, gent

醫學美容-悅姿然-分子-cosmetic-wiki

November 10. 2018 03:36

With Manchester United continuing to struggle to get to grips with this year’s Premier League campaign Robin Van Persie may be questioning his decision to ditch Arsenal. Any regrets, Robin? As Van Persie returns to Arsenal, the United striker must wonder what would have happened if he had stayed at the reignited Gunners...

Football Solutions Dynamo fire on all cylinders - News

November 21. 2018 04:59

The Gunners midfielder has produced 16 assists already this term, helping his side to the top of the Premier League table, and much praise has been heaped on his shoulders. Mesut Ozil is a 'complete athlete' and has matured into a leader at Arsenal this season, claims manager Arsene Wenger

futbol.run Eight more through as qualifying round concludes - UEFA Women's Champions League - News

November 27. 2018 19:09

<p>I’m from England <a href="www.zikol.com.mk/stmap_9ef70.html rel="nofollow">preis fr voltaren schmerzgel forte</a> “I averaged around 72 (catches per season over my career),” Winslow said Friday. “My job is to just make plays. When it comes my way, just make the play. I can exceed that. My goal is always to catch 100 balls. Haven’t done it yet, but that’s my goal. I want to come close.”</p>

Hiram Gerking

November 30. 2018 21:30

<p>I really appreciate this post. I¡¦ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again</p>

Julieta Brackelsberg