Go Green with Local Harvest

June 13, 2008

Going back to an earlier post March post, have you heard about the local challenge? It is a challenge to each of us to eat at least one meal a week in which all ingredients come from no more than 100 miles away. If you are so inclined, you could challenge yourself to become a true localvore (or locavore) who eats almost exclusively within a 100 mile radius.

One fifth of all petroleum used in the US is used by the food industry. And of that amount, four fifths are used to move food from one place to another. Since the average ingredient travels 1500 miles before it reaches your plate, 6 to 12 % of every dollar spent on food is for transportation costs. If you shop at a farmer’s market, the farmer will keep about 90 cents of every dollar you spend with him. If you shop for your ingredients at a grocery store, 91 cents of every dollar will go to the middlemen and the farmer will receive 9 cents.

A great website to find food local to you is Local Harvest.

Community Supported Agriculture or CSA is one way to work towards being a localvore. The CSA farmer will provide you with a specified amount of produce every week over their growing season. The one I belong to delivers about a ½ bushel of assorted vegetables, fruits, berries, honey and herbs a week for approximately $18 a week. The CSA share is paid in advance, allowing the farmer a regular income.

If you have an office summer picnic, consider asking everyone to bring items made from local produce. It could be a fun way to introduce everyone to the local challenge while making an effort to greenify your meal.

Comments

October 16. 2018 13:17

由全球生長因子與胜肽韓國廠商CAREGEN研發,利用美國專利「KP7-4胜肽技術」,獨特滲透配方提供高穩定、高滲透、高效能的胜髮環境,模擬人體生髮機制,目的使頭皮、毛囊恢復健康及作用活性,重啟生髮系統。DR CYJ髮胜肽療程的治療原理為 利用複合活性成分配方恢復毛髮平衡, 根據生態生物工程原理研發, 關鍵胜肽名為KP7-4,結合了七種專利胜肽, 實驗證明能有效模擬「人體胜髮因子」,掌握育髮四關鍵:毛囊強健、減緩異常落髮、強化髮根、供給毛囊血管營養,模擬毛髮循環機制,同時減緩異常落髮及強化髮根。DR.CYJ髮胜肽不含藥性且無副作用,能有效促進增髮

醫學美容 Laser facial cosmedicbook

October 17. 2018 23:24

Upscale Hippie 秋冬高街嬉皮風 Marie Claire (HK) Edition 時尚圈不斷輪迴,設計師總是愛從時尚史中尋找靈感碎片,賦予時裝循環不息的生命。2017年早秋,時裝舞台逆轉70年代,以最具代表性的靈魂單品重現當年自由自在的嬉皮風範。

醫學美容 增高 cosmetic.wiki

October 18. 2018 17:30

運動後體力補充小食?日本即食包裝刺身 一打開就食得 Marie Claire (HK) Edition 今年香港的夏天特別熱,正當大家都在避免吃生的食物,日本食品公司KAISHO就推出冷藏的包裝刺身,確實是懶人福音!刺身一共有3款,包括是三文魚、吞拿魚及甜蝦刺身,保質期只有15天,而且需要保存在零下18

醫學美容 熱療 cosmetic.wiki

October 20. 2018 15:45

M.A.C 【底妝產品】緊緻彈力遮瑕膏的商品介紹 M.A.C,底妝產品,緊緻彈力遮瑕膏

醫學美容 複合型 cosmetic.wiki

October 22. 2018 03:14

懶人收納法則!日本收納女王教你大掃除 Marie Claire (HK) Edition 年廿八洗邋遢,到底有甚麼方法才可以在一日內將亂如垃圾站的衣櫃變得整整齊齊,就如家居雜誌中一塵不染的狀態呢? 這幾年經常聽到「斷捨離」這字彙,意即斷絕不需要的東西,捨去多餘的事物,脫離對物品的執著。這

醫學美容 深層清潔 cosmetic.wiki

October 23. 2018 15:46

Venus Viva™對所有皮膚類型都是安全的,並使用革命性的Nano Fractional Radio Frequency™(納米點陣射頻™)和Smart Scan™(智能掃描™)技術,通過選擇性真皮加熱,從而提供優異的治療效果。使用Nano Fractional RF™將能量透過表皮傳遞至真皮,從而產生熱量,並啟動膚膚的生理機制,重建膠原蛋白及刺激纖維母細胞,最終刺激導致組織重塑。功效:✔改善膚質✔肌膚緊緻✔減淡妊娠紋✔痤瘡及暗瘡疤痕✔減淡細紋及皺紋✔面部肌膚賦活再生 適合面部及頸部

精雕五官 Juvederm 透明質酸

October 27. 2018 05:31

AC MAKEUP 美妝品牌情報匯集 找品牌 AC MAKEUP AC MAKEUP ,匯集了AC MAKEUP粉霜,FACE

醫學美容-纖腿-維特健靈-cosmetic-wiki

November 5. 2018 15:48

Aubameyang reportedly told German TV station ZDF that 'The only club that could lure me away from Dortmund is Real Madrid.' The striker now claims his words have been 'transformed'. Manchester City target Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang says Real Madrid link was fabricated and he is happy to stay at Borussia Dortmund

Football Solutions Sūduva

November 6. 2018 13:22

If Blackburn are desperate to keep hold of Roque 'Satna' Cruz, they have a funny way of showing it. Some fool at the Ewood Park club can't even spell his name right. Kit men under a spell: It's catching as Liverpool ace 'Mascerano' joins Blackburn's 'Satna' Cruz in shirt clanger

Football Solutions UEFA Women's Champions League - Standings

November 20. 2018 11:55

Despite going into administration last week, Crystal Palace pulled off a memorable upset against Wolves as a six-minute Danny Butterfield hat-trick fired them into the fifth round. Crystal Palace 3 Wolves 1: It's utterly Butterfield as Danny grabs three to lift Eagles

futbol.run UEFA Youth League - Xian Emmers

February 15. 2019 15:19

<p>Generique suisse <a href="parisitax.co.uk/.../etoposide.html" rel="nofollow">parisitax.co.uk/.../a> prix generique.</p>

Ralph Melecio

March 24. 2019 10:54

<p>As I website possessor I believe the content matter here is rattling excellent , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.</p>

Ciera Miscoe

April 23. 2019 19:52

It’s really a nice and useful piece of info. I am glad that you shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Mose Masood

May 5. 2019 19:11

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all folks you really recognise what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally discuss with my website =). We will have a hyperlink alternate agreement between us!

Joseph Stathos

May 7. 2019 11:06

Excellent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you're just extremely fantastic. I really like what you have acquired here, really like what you're stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is actually a wonderful web site.

Lera Credell

August 1. 2019 17:19

I do consider all the concepts you've presented in your post. They're very convincing and can definitely work. Nonetheless, the posts are too short for newbies. May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

Gay Peasnall

August 8. 2019 20:42

I really enjoy examining on this page , it has got great article .

protosmasher

August 10. 2019 12:15

Found this on google and I’m happy I did. Well written post.

xojo 2018 crack

August 11. 2019 03:47

Enjoyed reading through this, very good stuff, thankyou .

cam4 token generator windows

August 12. 2019 18:48

Great, google took me stright here. thanks btw for this. Cheers!

roblox super power training simulator

August 14. 2019 08:50

yahoo got me here. Thanks!

hack mobile legends root

August 15. 2019 01:02

I truly enjoy looking through on this web site , it holds superb content .

whozzak whatsapp hacker

August 16. 2019 01:50

Found this on bing and I’m happy I did. Well written post.

feevhax

August 17. 2019 02:10

Ha, here from bing, this is what i was browsing for.

xoracle csgo hack

August 30. 2019 22:36

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

free downloadable invoice templates

September 30. 2019 18:58

can you suggest me the best place to make custom order for bridal wear i am really in need for it

Wedding Dresses

October 3. 2019 11:48

seeing the above we know that silk is more pure and good to wear

KSIC Bangalore Sarees

October 16. 2019 19:00

This is good. Cheers!

infestation the newz esp

October 21. 2019 03:50

This page is nearly identical to the ideas my sister and I were talking about earlier in the day during lunch.

Clemente Grounds

October 27. 2019 14:37

good Job

عکس کس

November 12. 2019 04:06

Im grateful for the blog post. Want more.

interior design